Mr. Cobb was born in Greenville, North Carolina and grew up in Bertie County. He attended the University of North Carolina on a Morehead Scholarship.
Mr. Cobb graduated with honors from the UNC School of Law in 1992, and was admitted to the North Carolina Bar. After graduation, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Terrence W. Boyle, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of North Carolina. In 1993, he joined the firm, handling both general liability and medical malpractice matters.
Today, Mr. Cobb’s practice is focused on the representation of healthcare providers. He has represented family practice physicians, surgeons, OB/GYN physicians, anesthesiologists, orthopedists, hospitalists, emergency medicine physicians, pathologists, oncologists, physician’s assistants, nurse practitioners, podiatrists, chiropractors, hospitals, nursing homes, and physician practices in a wide variety of malpractice and other litigation matters. He has represented physician practices in business, billing and credentialing disputes. He has also provided risk management consulting services for hospital and nursing home clients, advising on policies and procedures, investigation and communication after adverse events. Assisting healthcare providers in matters before their licensing boards is also a significant portion of Mr. Cobb’s practice, and he has appeared before North Carolina’s Medical Board, Dental Board, Pharmacy Board, Psychology Board, Physical Therapy Board, and Board of Nursing representing the interests of his clients.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.S. with Honors, 1989, JD with honors, 1992)
- Recipient of Morehead Scholarship
Awards And Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2012
- Leaders in the Law, North Carolina Lawyers’ Weekly (2012)
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers since 2008
- Listed in North Carolina Legal Elite, Business North Carolina magazine (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012)
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- North Carolina Supreme Court
- American Society of Heathcare Risk Management, North Carolina Chapter
- Wake County Bar Association
- Partner Barry Cobb represents professional licensing boards, healthcare professionals and facilities. He is also a certified mediator.