Brian has been an invaluable member of the KPM LAW team since 1994, his commitment having helped solidify and expand the foundation of KPM LAW’s regional defense network. Brian primarily focuses his practice on the defense of Fortune 500 companies that operate under large self-insured retentions. With bar licenses in four jurisdictions, he has built a dedicated team and developed an efficient system that allows him to aggressively defend all matters in a regional practice that covers the entire mid-Atlantic region.
As Brian’s practice became more focused on Retail and Restaurant litigation, it became evident to him that the Plaintiff’s bar was more organized in sharing its resources, and so in 2006 – 2007, Brian co-founded the National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association (NRRDA) to promote the education and communication channels of industry leaders and counsel. Brian was elected to serve two terms as the association’s first president. Under Brian’s leadership, NRRDA continued to grow. Today, NRRDA boasts over 600 members and is seen as a leader in the Retail and Restaurant sector.
As a testament to his leadership and litigation abilities, Brian is the only Virginia attorney selected to be a member of IALDA, a defense network dedicated to the defense of the Amusements and Leisure industry.
Today Brian’s practice focuses on civil litigation with specialty in Retail, Restaurant, Amusement, and other commercial and SIR clients, including Public Utilities, Aviation-related, and Construction Companies.
When he is not fighting the good fight, Brian enjoys playing guitar and cheering on his beloved Washington Nationals and University of Virginia Cavaliers.
- University of Virginia, BA, 1989
- University of Richmond School of Law, JD, 1992
- Virginia State Bar, 1992
- Maryland State Bar, 1996
- Washington, D.C. Bar, 1997
- West Virginia State Bar, 2008
- Eastern and Western District of Virginia Federal Court, 1996
- District of Columbia Federal Court, 1999
- Southern District of West Virginia Federal Court, 2008
- Northern District of West Virginia Federal Court, 2012
- Northern and Southern Districts of Maryland Federal Court, 1999
- Fourth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, 1992
Awards And Honors
- AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers
- 2017 Virginia Super Lawyers
- Virginia Bar Association
- Founder/Board Member, Past President, National Retail/Restaurant Defense Association
- Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, International Amusements & Leisure Defense Association
- Member, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys