Stephen W. Heil is a member and partner with extensive experience in state and federal courts. Mr. Heil holds an “AV” attorney rating from the peer rating system of Martindale Hubbell, and he has been annually recognized by his peers as a Top Lawyer and Super Lawyer in Illinois. He has defended aviation products manufacturers in litigation involving major air disasters occurring all over the world, including Garuda 152 (Medan, Indonesia), Air France 447 (Brazil), Sudan Airways 109 (Sudan), Spanair JKK5022 (Madrid), Aerocon A4-238 (Trinidad, Bolivia), Airlines Papua New Guinea CG1600 (Madang, Papua New Guinea). He has also represented propane distributors and retailers in litigation involving catastrophic explosions resulting in multiple deaths, serious injuries, and property loss, as well as chemical and product manufacturers and distributors involved in toxic tort exposure litigation and traumatic brain injury claims arising out of the use of products. He received his juris doctorate cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law, and he is a member of the Propane Gas Defense Association and the Defense Research Institute.
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, IL J.D., Cum Laude
- Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Valedictorian,
- Major: Criminal Justice; Minor: Philosophy
- Illinois State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Propane Gas Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute (Construction Law and Trucking Law sections)
- Aviation Law
- Business Torts and Commercial Litigation
- Catastrophic Injury and Loss Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Construction Law
- Medical Liability
- Nursing Home Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation and Counseling
- Propane and Explosives Litigation
Presentations And Publications
- “Panelist in an Athletic Trainers Concussion Panel focusing on the assessment, evaluation, testing, treatment and return to play policies, and legal liabilities and defenses to same, May 23, 2016."
- “Presentation at CLE training session for EMCAS entitled, “Defending Traumatic Brain Injury Cases,” Atlanta, Georgia, March 2-4, 2016."
- “Avoiding Podiatric Malpractice, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 37th Annual Midwinter Seminar, January 24, 2015."
- “Presentation to Athletico Physical Therapy entitled, “Legal Issues in Outpatient Rehabilitation,” Oakbrook, Illinois, October 30, 2010."
- ““Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Technology in Trial,” Chicago Bar Association 2007 Law Practice Management & Technology Conference, Chicago, Illinois, January 12-13, 2007."
- “Presentation to Athletico Physical Therapy entitled, “Litigation Therapy: Ten Steps to Building a Strong Defense to Malpractice Claims,” Oakbrook, Illinois, December 2006."
- “Propane Claim Training Seminar: Catastrophic Propane Explosions and Carbon Monoxide Claims,” presented to St. Paul Travelers, Orlando, Florida, November 17-18, 2006."
- “Smooth Sailing: Navigating the Rough Waters of Modern Day Practice,” presented to Physicians Insured by ProAssurance, October 19, 2006.
- “Litigation Therapy: Ten Steps to Building a Strong Defense to Malpractice Claims,” presented to Athletico Physical Therapy, Fall 2006..
- “Debunking the Neuropsychological Injury,” presented to Markel American Insurance Company Nationwide Panel Counsel, Pewaukee, Wisconsin, April 26-27, 2006.
- ““Litigation Therapy: Ten Steps to Building a Strong Defense to Malpractice Claims,” private industry presentation, June 2005.
- ““Ten Critical Steps to Effective Rainmaking,” National Association of Insurance Litigation Management, January 30, 2003.
- An Attack on the Fortress of ERISA Preemption: The Impacts and Effects of Rush Prudential HMO, Inc. v. Moran, Stephen W. Heil and Douglas M. DeWitt (2002)
- Contractors Beware! Revised OSHA Rules Offer No Safety For Defendants, Stephen W. Heil and Michael D. Huber, September, 2001
- Ten Critical Steps to the Effective Defense of a Transportation Case: The End Drives the Means, DRI publication: For the Defense, October 1999