Rodney E. (“Rod”) Pettey joined the firm in 1991 after he completed a one-year clerkship with the Honorable Eugene Gordon, United States District Court Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina.
In 1998, he became a partner and has served on the firm’s management committee since 2010. Rod has focused his practice on representing corporations and insurance companies in litigation involving products liability, construction disputes, catastrophic injury, premises liability and trucking accidents.
During his more than twenty years of trying cases, Mr. Pettey has represented clients throughout the state in both federal and superior court. He has successfully defended cases arising out of multi-million dollar construction projects, alleged brain injuries and wrongful death. Mr. Pettey’s recent litigation experience includes representing defendants in lawsuits resulting from two well-known plant explosions that occurred in Eastern North Carolina. He has also recently represented corporations in class action suits. Due to his experience in handling significant cases, he has been selected by two insurance companies to be part of their catastrophic injury and major case attorney panel. Mr. Pettey has also been selected as a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates which is comprised of both plaintiff and defense trial attorneys.
Mr. Pettey frequently provides lectures for his clients regarding litigation strategy, accident investigation, mediation strategy, litigation avoidance, legislative and procedural updates and defending cases involving catastrophic loss and damages.
- Bob Jones University (B.S., 1987)
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
- North Carolina (1990)
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Awards And Honors
- Best Lawyers in America® since 2012
- North Carolina Super Lawyer since 2009
- North Carolina Legal Elite by Business North Carolina magazine in 2007
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys – Lifetime Achievement Award
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Wake County Bar Association
- Partner Rod Pettey represents businesses, professionals and insurance companies in legal disputes involving products liability, personal injury, construction defect, professional liability and trucking accidents. He also serves as part of the appellate practice group.