Mr. Balitis counsels private sector clients as well as government agencies, including the Arizona legislature, on a broad range of employment law and labor relations matters. Over his 30 years of practice, he has represented clients in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, National Labor Relations Board, Arizona Civil Rights Division, Arizona Industrial Commission, Arizona Department of Occupational Safety and Health, and the Arizona Department of Economic Security. Recognizing that some issues need to be resolved at the legislative level, Mr. Balitis has participated in drafting and testifying on Arizona employment-related legislation.
In addition to the administrative and transactional aspects of his practice, Mr. Balitis litigates employment-related disputes in federal and state courts, where he has both bench and jury trial experience, and has appeared and argued before the Arizona Court of Appeals. He has considerable experience prosecuting and defending employment claims in preliminary injunction proceedings, and representing union employers in labor arbitrations involving disputes under collective bargaining agreements. Mr. Balitis also is experienced in training, investigating, writing, speaking, publishing, and interacting with the media on employment-related topics and developments.
In additional to his civil practice, John serves as an arbitrator and mediator for the American Arbitration Association. He participates in proceedings in these capacities in Arizona and in other jurisdictions.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- B.A., Dickinson College
- summa cum laude
Awards And Honors
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America© in the categories of Employment Law – Management and Litigation – Labor and Employment (2010 – 2019)
- Listed, Southwest Super Lawyers in the category of Employment and Labor (2013 – 2018)
- Ranked, Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers for Business (2015 – 2018)
- Ranked, Best Arizona Attorneys (2012)
- Listed, 20 People to Know in the Law, Phoenix Business Journal
- Areas of Focus
- Employment and Labor Relations
- Business Litigation
- Construction Law
- Health Care Litigation and Regulation
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Real Estate