Carl’s busy litigation practice emphasizes insurance defense, first and third-party coverage opinions/litigation, extra contractual matters, the defense of alleged bad faith claims and general as well as environmental defense claims. He is licensed to practice law in Washington, Alaska and Oregon and has represented clients throughout the United States, with particular emphasis in the Western states.
Carl has extensive trial experience, initially as an Assistant District Attorney in Anchorage, Alaska, and he continues with an active trial practice now. He is frequently asked to serve as a King County Superior Court Arbitrator and is an instructor for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s trial and deposition skills programs, as well as an Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy, at the University of Washington School of Law. He is a frequent author and lecturer on topics related to his primary practice areas as well as pre-trial and trial-related issues.
- B.A., Gonzaga University, 1980, magna cum laude
- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1983
- State of Alaska
- State of Washington
- State of Oregon
- United States District Court, District of Alaska
- United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Awards And Honors
- Recognized as "Super Lawyer" 2001-2017 in Super Lawyers magazine.
- Recognized as "Super Lawyer" 2009-2016 in Super Lawyers Business Edition.
- Recognized as one of "Washington's Top 100 Lawyers," 2010, 2011, 2013 - 2017 in Super Lawyers magazine.
- Recognized as one of the “Top 100 Lawyers in Washington,” 2013, 2014 and 2016 in Seattle Metmagazine.
- Recognized as one of "Washington's Top Lawyers," July 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 as selected by peers, in Seattle Met magazine.
- Received the "2013 Outstanding Lawyer of the Year" award from the King County Bar Association.
- Named "Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year" in 2010 by Washington Defense Trial Lawyers.
- "AV Preeminent" rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating obtainable by members of the legal community; and in 2014 received the distinguished "20 years recognition" at this level.